Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ohrid #1

Normally, I would provide a little bit of the history of each place that I visit. I'll just leave it to Wikipedia to explain Ohrid, because there's really just too much to say. And this trip to Ohrid was really more of a vacation than an "adventure in archaeology”, so I really don't have too much to say beyond what I've read on Wikipedia. I know, I know. Shame on me.

It's really just a beautiful little city, packed during the summer with Serbs, Macedonians, and the Dutch swimming in the lake during the day and clubbing all night long. It's the off-season now, and very quiet. I prefer it that way.

Sunrise breaking between the mountains and the clouds over the lake, with a view from the Old Town (where the hotel was located) towards the quay and newer part of Ohrid:



A view from the hotel balcony, overlooking the lake and the Old Town:


St. Jovan Kaneo, one of the more famous churches in Ohrid:


Walking around the walls of Tsar Samoil's fortress, which rings the hill above the Old Town:

No comments: