Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Simple Pleasures of Macedonia

Macedonia has a lot of problems - there's no denying that. But there are some things at which this small country really succeeds, and one of them is the haircut. I'm confident that I will never, ever get a haircut in the States that is as enjoyable as one in Macedonia. What makes the experience so special?

Scalp massage.

I don't know why they do it. Maybe it stimulates the hair follicles. Maybe it's some traditional practice lost to the ages. But for about $3-4 dollars, at any barbershop or salon in the country, you get your hair washed and massages for 10 minutes before the haircut, and another 10 minutes afterward. Is the haircut itself any good? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

But after the massage, who really cares?

3 comments:

Gezuar said...

WOW I can totally relate to this, I visit my stylist here just for the massage, I mean it's just fabulous, perhaps it's a Balkan thing...

Anonymous said...

they've done that in asia for centuries. and it's also a better quality, superior haircut and massage by a superior race.

Ryan said...

I have to agree on this. Chaz is right. The Japanese are both great cutting hair and at giving massages.

Also, for the record, the cheapest haircuts in Japan run for about 30$.